Did you encounter the COM Surrogate process in your task manager? Are you worried about its identity and thinking that it might be a virus? If these questions are wrenching your mind, you must go through this article to know the real scenario. Today I am going to share a small piece of information about COM Surrogate and various methods to fix it.
Whenever your system gets down or starts to Freeze, you instantly open Task manager to have a look at running programs. With Windows 10, you might find an unexpected process running on your system, named COM Surrogate. Seeing that, you might scratch your head. Confused..? Scroll down to know more.
What is COM Surrogate?
COM Surrogate has a sacrificial role with windows. It is used to help run software extensions that other programs need in order to run. If the extension crashes, the Surrogate process will take the blow and not the software which was running it. It is basically a good Program for your system and is not a Virus.
To check details about the process, right-click on the COM Surrogate program in Task Manager and Go to Details, you’ll find that the process name is actually “dllhost.exe”. You’ll also observe that the process runs under your username and not the System or Local Service or Network Service accounts.
More about the COM object
The use of COM Surrogate is the File Explorer building thumbnails. In former versions of Windows, the Explorer process would try to generate thumbnails under itself. This often resulted in crashes because thumbnail extractors aren’t always reliable.
IN older versions, the system tends to crash when you open many files and folders together but now COM surrogate handles this issue and save the system from crashing.
Microsoft designed an interface for developers to create extensions to programs called COM Objects. This is used for certain programs in Windows 10 also. For example, Windows Explorer has a COM object that allows it to create thumbnails for images and videos in a folder.
The problem is not the COM object. The real problem starts when the COM objects itself get crashed.
Various issues with the Process
High CPU and disk usage
- This is one of the major issues that COM surrogate object is consuming a lot of disk and CPU space. This might hinder other programs to run.
- Users are reporting that many-a-times COM surrogate stops responding or completely freeze.
- People are misleading the COM Surrogate process with the virus because it takes up space on your primary memory and disk.
- COM surrogate process always runs in the background and this might interfere with other running programs.
COM Surrogate stopped working
- Sometimes, the COM Surrogate process stops working abruptly.
COM Surrogate keeps crashing, opening
- Sometimes COM surrogate process keeps crashing and opening of its own. This might be irritating.
Methods to fix COM Surrogate issues
Below are the various methods to solve COM Surrogate error/issues:
Fix 1: Close COM Surrogate manually
- Right-click on the Taskbar menu.
- Click on task manager.
- Find COM Surrogate process in the list of running programs.
- Click on it and then choose the option “End Task”.
- This will close COM Surrogate from running.
Fix 2: Scan your system with up-to-date Antivirus
Readers, this is very sure that OCM Surrogate process embedded by Microsoft is not a virus but! Hackers around the world might create a virus with the same name and send it to users via various links. This might be a possibility. Right?
So if you have a doubt regarding its originality, run the antivirus on your system. This will scan your system thoroughly and remove the suspected files. There you can check the process status as well.
Fix 3: Windows must be Updated
Be sure that your windows must be updated. Outdated windows will result in poor performance of COM Surrogate
- From the start menu, go to settings.
- Click on “Updates and Security”.
- Select windows update ->Update Sttsus- >Check for updates.
- If an updated version is available, make sure to update it.
- After updating restart your PC and then check the performance of your system.
Fix 4: System File Check
- Go to the start button and write CMd there.
- Right-click on it and choose Choose Run as Administrator option
- Press enter, a black screen is known as a Command prompt will open.
- Type “sfc /scannow” command without inverted commas there and press enter.
- This process might take some time.
- As the scan finishes, restart your computer.
Fix 5: Re-register DLL files
- Open a command prompt and run as an administrator as done in method 4.
- Type “regsvr32 vbscript.dll” and press enter.
- Next, run “regsvr32 jscript.dll” and press enter
- Wait for a while. This would re-register dll files and allows your system to run perfectly.
These are the five tried and tested methods that would surely work for you.
Readers, I hope you get an idea about COM Surrogate Process. It is a good process for our system. I understand we are always worried about viruses and malware around, for this scan your system time-to-time. I hope this method would work for you.
If you know any other method, do not forget to share with us. 🙂
Share your feedback. Thank you!